Thursday, March 7, 2013

6 Months! (take 2)

(written 2 weeks ago. I just decided to go ahead and post this even though it is still an unfinished thought post).

Reflections on Parenting.
It is hard to not compare my kids. Since they are almost exactly 2 years separated in age, I can look back in my blog to the same date and see Hadley's developments at the same age. One of my friends recently read from baby journals that she maintained throughout her children's lives. I won't have that, but I hope I will maintain little tidbits of memories digitally and perhaps someday, on paper also.

Yup, they look the same at 6 months. Yup, they are doing just about the same things. Yup, they are both enormous (ok, well Eli is 2 1/2 lbs heavier and an inch longer than she was, but once you hit BIG, its hard to differentiate).

Hadley is the classic older sibling so far. She is teaching her parents (and grandparents...) as she goes. She shoulders responsibility, tries to be so grown up, but also just wants to be babied. She is dramatic and eloquent. She is in the midst of the "terrible" twos, the time of extreme "rigidity" (everything had better be in its proper place, or else...) The world revolves around her but it is such a delightfully new and exciting world, that it is fun to watch her be the center of her universe.
As we danced in the kitchen to Mary Poppins yesterday morning, I realized how much I treasure my exclusive time with her, before she really knows anything else about the world around us. Before she realizes how much her parents have messed her up. Before she wants to leave home and be with other people.

I don't want her to realize that plain yogurt and unsweetened oatmeal aren't "normal" treats. That broccoli and meat aren't "normal" birthday celebration foods. That most kids watch modern tv shows regularly, and can't sing the Leave it to Beaver theme song. That cuddling up with a rice sock in bed isn't a normal way to go to sleep. That most kids bathe in a real bathtub. That many kids resent their younger siblings. That most kids don't announce from the dinner table that they are ready to go to bed and then go willingly.

But they are different. Elijah is mellow beyond belief. He is patient and tolerant in ways that Hadley never was. He is curious and more explorative. He is different and I'm sure I'll learn more about his personality as we go. Raising boys frightens me, but I don't have much of an option so here we go! If he can turn out like my husband or my brother, I'll feel triumphant.

I've never been so tired in my life but I am learning to treasure this time with my kids. I know I will enjoy it as they grow up and leave the bubble we've created for them, but its been fun to see what type of childhood we can craft when left to our own devices :)

That's it for now.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

I really like you :) I love blogs that talk about their kids the way you have - the kind where I can also see how YOU are doing through your experiences with them. You're great!

Joy said...

Beautiful.