Sunday, July 28, 2013

Summertime!

One month of summer down, one more to go! Its been really good so far. I've been trying to make a more conscious effort to have more quality kid time and to document it with more pictures. As a result, I've been finding myself enjoying snuggling with the kids more and laughing and playing more (and working less). I think its been a better balance. Since this blog is the only way I am currently keeping a family history, I'm also trying to include more candid shots of our daily activities. So not much excitement here, but this is what our life looks like currently.

We went camping for Father's Day weekend. It was fun to see how much fun the kids had just sleeping in a tent and going on little hikes. I'm also enjoying how I feel we are growing together as a family-learning how to work and play together.


We took a wonderful trip out to New Mexico to visit part of the family. We drove up to Moab for Independence Day weekend and it was so fun to do some Red Rock hiking again.

Then we quickly packed up again and headed up to upstate NY for Josh's summer work/projects. I was dreading constantly cleaning & keeping our house in showing condition for potential buyers, so I decided that we should run away and just leave it presentable.

My parents obliged and are hosting our family for the summer (and getting new windows installed & a timberframed playhouse built by my husband as part of the deal). 




Its wonderful to watch the kids bonding with all of our extended family. I hope we can always keep family ties as a priority.

I've been taking the kids blueberry & cherry picking & taking Hadley to swimming lessons in a local river. Rough life...


Eli is growing up into quite an adventurous climber. He is a determined kiddo and has been mastering staircases, ladders and everything that isn't quite as babyproofed as the grandparents intended. He is learning how to rough house with Hadley & is fascinated with the piano, the legos & little people toys. 

He's becoming more vocal and is an expert crawler and cruiser. He is still the most mellow and sweet baby I know.




Its hard for me to believe that Hadley will be 3 next month. Oh how she has changed my perspective on life. I love watching her venture out bravely on her own. She pleads to be able to go to school and keeps asking if she is big enough yet. Its interesting to watch her start to develop a sense of time and to hear her process duration and wait time. She still wants to be doing whatever we are doing and is the most helpful toddler I know. I currently love watching her try to play make believe with Eli and to hear her sincere exclamations of gratitude (Gee Dad, you're such a good driver... Grandpa you taught such a good lesson). 

The kids certainly keep me smiling. And crying. And yearning to be a better mom.

I read a great quote recently: "I am caring for young children. And, as much as I'd like to, I'm not doing it right every day. No one in this house is getting as much of me as they want. Or as much of me as I want to give them. And I struggle with that. I wrestle with that...But, I know that I am starting to win more rounds than I lose. And I know that I am trying, with every beat of my heart, to be someone they can look up to, even when the chips are down. The extraordinary difficulty of the last few months will not last... These tough moments will soon be distant, even funny memories. And, with any luck, from them a lasting bond will emerge." (source)

A few Instagram photos to remember.


5 comments:

Mike and Joy said...

Great shots - loved the video of Ellie going in circles! Hope you guys are having a blast! Miss ya!

blogginglife said...

Thanks Howie. That was a sweet and thoughful/thought-provoking post. And yes, the photos were beautiful and hilarious.

Candace said...

Love your life thanks for sharing,
Grandma Candy

Guin said...

I loved seeing your updates and reading about your fun adventures! Beautiful family!!!

kate said...

I love the sleeping bag picture! Looks like a nice summer. (: